Monday, March 5, 2007

Personal Story Pt.2 (Magical Realism)

An interesting story that I remember about myself happened when I was a young boy. I was a mere four years-old at the time and it took place on a cold and rainy mid-summer day. My mother planned on taking me to my grandmother's house on that day so I could play with my cousins. I was currently in Hawaii and the temperature was in the range of 30-40 degrees farenheight. The water on the ground froze up and transformed my driveway into an ice skating field. I stepped out onto the driveway floor, and my first step was a doosy. I got back up on my feet and heard the squaking mynabirds that were perched on the high voltage electrical wires. They were pointing their stubby and stocky feathers at my face. I ignored them and pressed the button on my micro universal remote and opened the door of my mother's Nissan Flycar©.
As I flew out of the Valley, I looked at the lanndscape and the greenery of the the images swiftly passing below. I saw waterfalls and tropical trees alongside sharp cliffs. During the trip to my grandmother's house, I thought about many things. I had premonitions about next year as becoming a kindergartener and making many good friends along the way. I also thought about having fun playing on the giant-sized jungle gyms during recess with my new friends. My mother flew us down back to the street like normal cars and drove the rest of the way. When we arrived at the house I got out and walked to the front door. My mother lefet for work soon after.
On this chilly mid-summer day, I was at my grandmother's house and bored, bored, bored out of my mind. Infact, I was so bored, I stared at the still outlines of te shadows on my wall.
It was strange, because grandmother's house had many different toys to play with such as Gameboy, Hot Wheels and my favorite thing to play with, Legos. Somehow, I was bored because all of my cousins were taking a nap on the futon in the living room. Grandma wouldn't let me go outside to play because it was raining and she diddn't want me getting sick. And I diddn't want to play with the "Hot Wheels Launcher" or "Zelda" on the Gameboy by myself, because it simply wasn't the same as having all of my cousins playng with me.
So I went into my grandma's room and as I turned around the door, something that shined like diamonds cuaght the corner of my eye. I beheld in my eyes a magnifcent and intriguing object that looked almost like a telephone. It had a somewhat angelic look and there were gold auroas around it. It spoke through the golden rays and said to me "Play with me. I'm a toy!". It was my perfect toy to play with and it could dissolve all of the boredom away. So I walked up to it and started spinning a dial with the nubers 0-9 on it. The dial kept on spinning back to it's starting position everytime I would roatate it. I then picked up the "golden reciever" and heard some noise blaring out. I put the reciever upon my ear and listened intently as I was dumbfounded about this discovery. All I heard was an unfamiliar-and-extremely-low-pitched voice on the other end of the line. It sounded alot like an adult voice so I immedietly slammed the phone back on the docking ort. I placed the phone back on the docking port and thought of how unordinary my discoverey was.
I raced through the hallway back to the living room and began shaking Craig, one of my cousins. I shook and shook and shook some more, but Craig was in a deep, dreamy sleep and my measures proved unsuccessful. It was like trying to wake up a half-asleep bear! Within the next few minutes, I heard the ringing of the doorbell through my brain and secretly watched my grandmother open the large wooden front door. A police man was waiting at the door and whispered in soft as a pillow voice to my grandmother. I strained to hear what words came out of the officer's mouth. After about ten minutes, which by the way seemed like an eternity, my grandmother finished talking with the police officer and came up to me and asked me a question. "Paul, did you call the Police?" she asked with a half-disappointed composure on her face. "I'm not sure Grandmother. I diddn't do it I promise!" I exclaimed as a few drops of tears began to leave my eyes. My grandmother asked me if I had touched a strange looking phone and I confessed. I felt bad and wanted to cry for the rest of the day because of what I did.
That day I learned a valuable lesson. My curiosity had gotten the best of me and I learned to not touch certain special-looking things without having permission first. I will always remember my grandma's infamous spin-dial phone.

No comments: